Search This Blog

Saturday, January 15, 2011

More Important Things To Do?


I just read an article about an upcoming court case in New Hampshire (Supreme Court). It involves a young homeschooled girl who is charged with "vigorously defending her Christian beliefs." She has been ordered to enter public school so "her religious views ...be mixed with other views." The catcher is...one parent (the father) is the one pressing charges! The mother is defending her daughter and appealing the judge's order on an appeal.

One of the many reasons I choose to homeschool my son is for religious beliefs. I'm not a religious fanatic or anything, but I do want my child to grow up knowing who and what God is. Public school is absolutely NOT an option for us. I won't go into other reasons in depth here as to why we choose to homeschool (superior academics, quality time, no violence...) but it infuriates me to think what this family is going through. Parents have the duty to instruct their children. In fact, a lot of families out there DO leave it to the schools and even churches to educate their children. Biblically, that is not sound! Parents, it is OUR responsibility to educate our children with morals, values and religion.

As opposed to 1990, there are now over 2 million children who are being homeschooled in the United States. Soon, there will be more when those who grew up in the 90's begin to homeschool their own. Doesn't this tell us something?

I am not advocating for everyone to homeschool. It is a choice, just like everything else is. I know what my family has chosen and we are lucky enough to be able to afford to do. What I am advocating is to not send someone to court for their beliefs! Ugg! The government frustrates me sometimes. Don't they have more important things they should be putting people on trial for?


No comments: