Search This Blog

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins


Yummy! I LOVE it that it is finally getting cooler here in Georgia. It makes me want to cook up some delicious comfort goodie
s! I had several left over pumpkins from Halloween, and instead of throwing them away this year like I normally do, I decided to find recipes where I could use the meat from the pumpkins. I've never done this before...normally I just toss them after the mildew gets just too gross. This recipe called for LIBBY'S Solid Pack Pumpkin...but I used fresh instead. Here's how to make your own fresh pumpkin:

Take your leftover pumpkin and
slice it in half, cutting the stem and pulp. Spoon out the seeds and lay them flat in a baking pan to dry so you can make roasted pumpkin seeds later! (Yummy!!)
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Put the pumpkin halves face down on a cookie sheet and cover with aluminum foil. Bake for an hour and a half. Cool, then use a spoon to scoop out the delicious meat inside. You can store it in the refrigerator until you're ready to use it or freeze it for later.

Now...on to the Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins!

Ingredients:
1 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
1/2 Cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Cup milk
1/2 Cup LIBBY'S Solid Pack Pumpkin
(I used fresh...see above for how)
1/4 Cup margarine or butter, melted
1 egg
1 Cup (6-ounce package) NESTLE TOL
L HOUSE (or other) Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
1/3 Cup finely chopped nuts (I left these out because my family doesn't like them)


Let's Do It:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease 12 (2 1/2 inch) muffin cups.
In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder cinnamon and salt; make well in center.

In a small bowl, combine milk, pumpkin, margarine and egg; add to well in flour mixture. Add morsels;

Stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Spoon into prepared muffin cups using a 1/4 C measuring cup, filling each muffin cup 3/4 full.

Sprinkle 1 teaspoon nuts over each muffin.
Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pans. Cool completely on wire racks. Makes 12 yummy Muffins!


No comments: