Search This Blog

Monday, September 27, 2010

Oh How I Love Thee...Let Me Count The Ways

I am about to begin week 8 of homeschooling Kameron. It has been a blast to say the least! I had no clue just how much it would bring Kam and I together. I've read things other moms have posted about why they love homeschooling, and I've decided to write my own. Hopefully you'll read this and add your own comments! It will be interesting to see what people come up with.

Reasons I LOVE HomeSchooling

  • We can stay in our PJs as long as we want in the mornings.
  • Kameron doesn't care what my hair looks like.
  • There is no rush to get out of the house in the mornings.
  • We are done each day by 11.
  • We can do our reading outside.
  • He gets the individualized help he needs.
  • He can wiggle and squirm and not get punished for it.
  • I am his main influence...so words that come out of his mouth usually reflect my words, not some kids' from the playground.
  • He hasn't gotten sent to the office once this year for throwing wet paper wads in the bathroom.
  • We can have spontaneous tickle fights after history or science.
  • His handwriting has improved DRASTICALLY!
  • I'm getting to do what God has given me the pleasure and honor of doing...being Kam's mom.

What about you? Leave some comments and let me know what you love about homeschooling!

6 comments:

Cassie said...

Good for you, Shannon! This is awesome! I love it for all of these reasons too. That, and Matti doesn't come home asking if she should go on a diet (yes, she did ask that once after Kindergarten), and Michael now has self-esteem. PLUS, we get to hang out with Dad on his days off, because his days off are our days off ;D

Kelli said...

I agree with all of the above!!!!
I am doing spontaneous schooling with Lizzie since we don't have a set schedule due to baby and what seems like never-ending doctor's appointments for the whole family! She is just a little sponge and loves every activity we do!
And of course we stay in our PJ's most of the time!!! :)

April said...

I enjoyed reading your reasons that you love homeschooling. So true! Here are some of the reasons I love homeschooling:
* My daughter has dyslexia. Not only can I give her the individualized attention she needs, but, most importantly, her confidence has soared since she has been homeschooled.
* With two other children in two different schools in two different counties, my daughter and I can do school in the car (which we do often with cd's and flashcards)and work around everyone's schedule.
* School is often real-world learning such as cooking (learning measurement), operating a small business, grocery shopping (coupons, budgeting and money)...the list goes on and on.
* We can do our school work holding our 19-year-old kitty or with our dogs.
* We can take breaks or even naps when they are really needed.
* We can stop what we are doing to research a related topic...for example, Gullah language when studying art.
* My daughter and I are closer than ever!
* Botany can be explored in our creek, our yard and our neighborhood.
* We can march around the yard or neighborhood to memorize material.
* Although I have homeschooled all of my children at times, it is almost fun to see the looks on people's faces and hear the inflections in people's voices when I tell them I homeschool my daughter.
* We can go out to eat for lunch.
* We can snuggle while we read a story, watch an educational dvd or work on the computer.
* The smiles, laughter, light bulbs that go off, confidence, independence, volunteerism, problem-solving, hard work, love, observation, compassion, prayer, and much more are PRICELESS!
Shannon, you are an incredibly talented and blessed woman! Thank you for your blog...I look forward to gaining insight from them and reading many more!

Shannon said...

Thanks, ladies, for your comments! I can relate to many of them. Cassie, I CANNOT belive Mattie would ask about dieting at her age!! So sad.

Jodie said...

I am so amazed by you. When I read this, all I see is the discipline I lack. You are awesome!

Penny said...

Ohhhhhh, I am ecstatic for you and Kameron!!!! What an awesome life experience for the two of you:) As a former public school teacher, like yourself, we KNOW the quality of his learning increases exponentially with homeschooling (across all domains). I despised public school so much that I left the profession after my contract was up in May.