Search This Blog

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Delicious and Fragrant

"God can never make us wine if we object to the fingers He uses to crush us with...when He uses someone whom we dislike, or some set of circumstances to which we said we would never submit, and makes those the crushers, we object." - Oswald Chambers

I read these words this morning from an Oswald Chambers devotional book. How wise this man was. How in tune with the Lord. I desire to be like this, but I know it takes an effort on my part. God is there waiting for me, all I have to do is seek.
These words ring so true in my ear. How often have I objected to one form or another His rebuke? I, like an Israelite complaining in the dessert, whimper and wine quite often about this load and that load...one circumstance that is difficult and another.
I have a dear friend who right now is going through the most trying time in her young life. But I do not hear her complaining. Instead, I hear and see her leaning on God all the more. I wonder what I would do if I were in her shoes? I have to admit, I don't think I would handle it with the grace that she is. God is making her into a delicious, ripe, sweet wine...and the fingers He's using to crush her are cruel and unfair. She's not a hard marble trying to escape the crushing...no, she is a malleable grape, yielding under the harsh force of the chosen fingers.
So, Lord, let me be a yielding grape, not complaining of the call Y0u have for me in my life. Let me submit to the fingers who crush me into a fine wine. I do not want to be a bitter, unripe wine, Lord, but a wine that is delicious and fragrant.


No comments: